Henry II Stakes
|Group 3 race|
|Race type||Flat / Thoroughbred|
|Distance||2m 50y (3,264m)|
|Qualification||Four-years-old and up|
|Weight||9 st 1 lb (4yo);|
9 st 2 lb (5yo+)
3 lb for fillies and mares
7 lb for Group 1 winners *
5 lb for Group 2 winners *
3 lb for Group 3 winners *
* since 31 August last year
|Lismore||Ranch Hand||Ocean Wind|
|Teamster||Mountain Kingdom||Chelsea Girl|
|Primitive Rising||Guarde Royale||Sadeem|
The Henry II Stakes is a Group 3 flat horse race in Great Britain open to horses aged four years or older. It is run at Sandown Park over a distance of 2 miles and 50 yards (3,264 metres), and it is scheduled to take place each year in late May.
The event is named after Henry II, who founded a priory on the site of Sandown Park in the 12th century. It was established in 1963, and the inaugural running was won by Gaul.
The present system of race grading was introduced in 1971, and for a period the Henry II Stakes held Group 3 status. It was promoted to Group 2 in 2002, and relegated back to Group 3 in 2012.
Most successful horse (3 wins):
- Persian Punch – 1997, 1998, 2000
Leading jockey (6 wins):
- Frankie Dettori – Drum Taps (1992), Mr Dinos (2003), Papineau (2004), Finalmente (2008), Opinion Poll (2012), Big Orange (2017)
Leading trainer (6 wins):
- Dick Hern – Grey of Falloden (1965), Charlton (1971), Zab (1975), Sea Anchor (1976), Smuggler (1978), Longboat (1986)
Winners since 1978
- The 1981 running was abandoned because of a waterlogged course
- The 2020 race was run in July due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Bruni finished first in 1977, but he was disqualified for bumping Grey Baron
- Racing Post:
- galopp-sieger.de – Henry II Stakes.
- ifhaonline.org – International Federation of Horseracing Authorities – Henry II Stakes (2019).
- pedigreequery.com – Henry II Stakes – Sandown Park.
- Abelson, Edward; Tyrrel, John (1993). The Breedon Book of Horse Racing Records. Breedon Books. pp. 47–48. ISBN 1-873626-15-0.